Nebraska Total Care wants to make sure that if you are aging out of foster care you can still get good healthcare. All of your benefits and services can be found in the Member Handbook. When you have questions you can check the handbook and this site for answers. You can also call Member Services for help. The phone number is 1-844-385-2192, TDD/TTY: 1-844-307-0342, Relay 711.
After turning 19, you will be your own Medical Consenter. This can be difficult to manage without support and Nebraska Total Care can work directly with you to help make sure you get the care you need. If you need more help with a difficult medical situation, please call us and choose the Care Management option. Our Care Managers can help you work with the healthcare system and get good care.
For more information about your Medicaid eligibility, please contact ACCESSNebraska. Tell them you are a former foster care youth and apply for Medicaid healthinsurance. You qualify regardless of income up to age 26.
You can visit the ACCESSNebraska website or call:
Statewide: (855) 632-7633
Lincoln: (402) 473-7000
Omaha: (402) 595-1178
TDD: (402) 471-7256
Bridge to Independence is available to young adults until age 21 who have aged out of foster care or were discharged to independent living. As long as you are in school, employed, or participating in an employment program, you are eligible for this program. Bridge to Independence provides stable support for young people as they cross from foster care to adulthood. Young adults who join the program will have access to:
- A dedicated Independence Coordinator (IC) who will provide advice, help you access resources and help you identify next steps to meeting your unique goals.
- Health care coverage if eligible for Medicaid or Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- A monthly maintenance payment.
- Project Everlast: A statewide, youth-led initiative committed to providing resources, connections and support to young adults as they age out of foster care.
- IntelliRide: Transportation for Nebraska Total Care members is available through IntelliRide. For more help arranging transportation call them at 1-844-531-3783.
- 211 United Way: Get information on resources in your area.
- FAFSA: Get a college application for student financial aid; including grants, scholarships and loans.
- Social Security: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or call 1-800-772-1213
- JobCorps: A free education program to help young people find and keep a good job.
- Nebraska Family Helpline: 24 hours a day, seven days a week trained helpline operators help with immediate safety needs and make recommendations or referrals to appropriate resources. Call 1-888-866-8660.
- Nebraska Total Care Member Services: For questions and information regarding physical and behavioral health needs. Call 1-844-385-2192, TDD/TTY: 1-844-307-0342, Relay 711.
- Preparation, Transition, & Independent Living Services (PALS) : Program is designed to provide support and guidance with the challenges of becoming independent. A PALS Specialist works with youth one-on-one to help assess strengths and abilities, as well as assist in identifying personal vision for becoming a successful independent adult.