Skip to Main Content

Transitional Youth

Nebraska Total Care wants to make sure that if you are aging out of foster care you can still get good healthcare. All of your benefits and services can be found in the Member Handbook. When you have questions, you can check the handbook and this site for answers. You can also call Member Services for help. The phone number is 1-844-385-2192 (TTY 711).

Heritage Health - Nebraska Total Care 

After turning 19, you will be your own Medical Consenter. This can be difficult to manage without support and Nebraska Total Care can work directly with you to help make sure you get the care you need. If you need more help with a difficult medical situation, please call us and choose the Care Management option. Our Care Managers can help you work with the healthcare system and get good care. 

For more information about your Medicaid eligibility, please contact iServe Nebraska. Tell them you were in foster care when you turned 19 and you would like to apply for Medicaid health insurance. You can get Medicaid health insurance up to age 26, no matter what your income is.

You can visit the iServe Nebraska website or call:

  • Statewide: (855) 632-7633
  • Lincoln: (402) 473-7000
  • Omaha: (402) 595-1178
  • TDD: (402) 471-7256

Bridge to Independence is available to young adults until age 21 who have aged out of foster care or were discharged to independent living. As long as you are in school, employed, or participating in an employment program, you are eligible for this program. Bridge to Independence provides stable support for young people as they cross from foster care to adulthood. Young adults who join the program will have access to:

  • A dedicated Independence Coordinator (IC) who will provide advice, help you access resources and help you identify next steps to meeting your unique goals.
  • Health care coverage if eligible for Medicaid or Affordable Care Act (ACA).
  • A monthly maintenance payment.
  • 211 United Way: Get information on resources in your area.
  • College Financial Aid Letter: DHHS can give you a financial aid letter. This letter will list the dates you were a state ward. You can use this for college financial aid purposes. Call 402-471-9272 to make this request.
  • findhelp resource tool: Finding help just got easier. Our findhelp resource tool connects members and caregivers in need with local programs and supports. Our database makes it easy for people with social needs – and those who help others – to find community programs. These programs provide help with food, shelter, healthcare, money and education, jobs and more.
  • FAFSA: Get a college application for student financial aid; including grants, scholarships and loans.
  • JobCorps: A free education program to help young people find and keep a good job.
  • Nebraska Family Helpline: 24 hours a day, seven days a week trained helpline operators help with immediate safety needs and make recommendations or referrals to appropriate resources. Call 1-888-866-8660.
  • Nebraska Total Care Member Services: For questions and information regarding physical and behavioral health needs. Call 1-844-385-2192 (TTY 711).
  • Preparation, Transition, & Independent Living Services (PALS) : Program is designed to provide support and guidance with the challenges of becoming independent. A PALS Specialist works with youth one-on-one to help assess strengths and abilities, as well as assist in identifying personal vision for becoming a successful independent adult.
  • Personal records: You can ask for copies of your personal records that are kept at Nebraska DHHS.
  • Project Everlast: A statewide, youth-led initiative committed to providing resources, connections and support to young adults as they age out of foster care.
  • Social Security: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or call 1-800-772-1213.
  • Transportation: Transportation services are covered by Nebraska Total Care through our transportation vendor MTM, Inc. To arrange transportation for appointments Member Services. The phone number is 1-844-385-2192 (TTY 711). Choose the transportation option.