How to Stop Smoking
Nebraska Total Care cares about you and your family’s health. One of the best ways to improve your health and wellness is to stop smoking and/or tobacco use.
Are you ready to make the change?
You can get help to quit.
- Call the Nebraska Tobacco-Free Quitline at:
- English: 1-800-QUIT-NOW (784-8669)
- Spanish: 1-855-DÉJELO-YA (335-3569)
- TTY/TDD: 877-777-6534
- Get online coaching from the Nebraska Tobacco Quitline.
- Use the resources on the TobaccoFree Nebraska website.
Some services are covered by Medicaid.
- You can have up to two tobacco cessation sessions in 12 months.
- Each session is 90 days of medication and four tobacco cessation counseling visits.
- You can use the Quitline as much as you need to. There is no limit.
- You can call the line directly or get a referral from your medical provider.
Some medications are covered to help with smoking cessation.
- Nicotine Transdermal Patches
- Nicotine Gum
- Nicotine Lozenge
- Nicotine Inhaler
- Nicotine NS Spray
- Bupropion (Zyban)
- Varenicline (Chantix)
To be eligible for Medicaid to cover the medication you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- You and your provider must complete the Nebraska Tobacco Quitline Fax Referral Form (PDF).
- Enroll and actively participate in the Nebraska Tobacco Free Quitline.
- Complete the intake and first counseling session with the Quitline Coach.
- Visit your provider:
- You must be checked to make sure side effects from the medications won't put you at risk.
- You will need a prescription for the medications.
- You can talk to your provider about this during another office visit. Or, you can schedule a visit just to talk about smoking cessation.
Contact Nebraska Total Care for additional information. Our phone number is 1-844-385-2192, Nebraska Relay Service 711.
Additional Tobacco / Smoking Cessation Resources:
- American Lung Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Pregnant? Don't Smoke!
- Myths: Smoking and Pregnancy
- 4 Tips to Quit Smoking