Your Primary Care Provider
Nebraska Total Care members must choose a Primary Care Provider (PCP). If you do not choose one we will assign you one. Your PCP will be your main doctor. They can help coordinate all of your health needs.
If you need help finding a Primary Care Provider please call Member Services. The phone number is 1-844-385-2192, TTY: 1-844-307-0342, Relay 711.
You can choose any PCP in our network. You can change your PCP any time. Your PCP can be a:
- Family General Practitioner
- Specialist who performs PCP functions
- Nurse Practitioner
If you would like to know more about a PCP, you can call Member Services. They can tell you what language the provider speaks, if they are in the network, or where they are located.
You can use our Provider Search tool to find a PCP.
You can change your Primary Care Provider at any time. There are three ways to change your PCP.
- Complete the Request to Change My Primary Care Provider form. The bottom of the form tells you where to send it after you have filled it out.
- Complete the form in our Secure Member Portal.
- Call Member Services to help you. The phone number is 1-844-385-2192, TTY: 1-844-307-0342, Relay 711.
After you tell us who your new PCP is, we will send you a new Nebraska Total Care member ID card. This will have your new PCP’s name and telephone number on it.
See your Primary Care Provider every year for an annual wellness check-up. This helps prevent health problems. The wellness check up gives your PCP a chance to find health problems early, when they are easier to treat. These appointments can help you and your PCP to get to know each other.
Call your PCP's office to schedule appointments. You have unlimited visits to your PCP. There is no cost to you. Make appointments with them when you need them.
If you need to change or cancel your appointment let your doctor know as soon as you can. It is best to call at least 24 hours before the appointment. Do not just skip an appointment. If you need to change an appointment, call the doctor’s office as soon as you can. They can make a new appointment for you.
Your PCP will:
- Make sure you get all medically-necessary services when you need them
- Follow-up on the care you get from other medical providers
- Make referrals for specialty care when needed
- Give ongoing care you need
- Keep your medical record up to date
- Keep track of all the care you receive
- Give services in the same manner to all of their patients
- Give you regular physical exams as needed
- Give preventive care visits
- Give you immunizations
- Offer 24/7 contact information
- Discuss what advance directives are and keep them in your medical record
- Treat you with respect
- Advocate for your health
- Offer the same appointment availability to all patients
- Review all of your medications and dosages at every visit
Be honest with your doctor.
Your PCP needs you to be honest about your health and symptoms. If you have questions about your health, treatment, or your medicines, ASK! Your doctor wants to help you.